| Home | Article Database | Fun Stuff | Resources | Tools & Calculators | Search HY

Ask the Mental Health Expert Archives 2001-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Mentally Ill Scholarships

Q. I have searched the web for scholarships and grants targeting persons with mental illness. I have found funding for persons with various other disabilities, but nothing for the mentally ill. Do you know of anything, anywhere?

A. I can suggest three resources that may point you in the right direction: 1. The Ordean Foundation (424 West Superior St. Duluth MN 55802; 218-726-4785) does provide financial support to individuals with mental illness, as well as scholarships for students pursuing certain health-related fields of study; however, their support may be restricted to residents in the Duluth area.

2. Recently, a joint collaboration between Atlantic Shores Healthcare, Inc. and National Art Exhibitions by the Mentally Ill (NAEMI) led to a gallery exhibition of over 20 pieces produced by mentally ill artists. NAEMI sponsors exhibitions that provide opportunities for artists with mental illness to develop their portfolios and gain exposure for their art. You can find out more about NAEMI by contacting Margaret Pearson, 561-691-6406).

3. Your best shot is probably with the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI), which provides comprehensive support for those with mental illness and their families. You can contact their national help line by calling 800-950-NAMI ( or log on to http://www.nami.org). Good luck.

July 2001

Disclaimer Back to Ask the Expert