| Home | Article Database | Fun Stuff | Resources | Tools & Calculators | Search HY

Ask the Mental Health Expert Archives 2001-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Week of June 17, 2001

    Question: My 12-year-old son was diagnosed with an array of conduct and emotional problems. He has been preoccupied with sex from age 9. I have caught him masturbating the dog and he masturbates a great deal himself. The problem now is that he is becoming more sexual with adult females. He told a lady that he wanted to kiss her. When she refused he became violent and started choking her. He is in an intensive treatment center but no one can give me any answers as to whether he is going to stay this way or what may be causing him to act this way. If a child is hypersexual at age 12, what course of treatment would you recommend?    Dr. Pies' Answer

    Question: I am a chemical dependency specialist looking for simple techniques to incorporate art into my groups. Do you have any ideas that I can try with my clients (some having no art background)?    Dr. Pies' Answer

    Question: I have some questions on discipline. Does spanking help with the learning process? When is spanking child abuse? Should parents ignore bad behavior, and reward good behavior? Do timeouts work well? How would a parent know when a timeout is better than a spanking? Do some children need a spanking occasionally?    Dr. Pies' Answer