| Home | Article Database | Fun Stuff | Resources | Tools & Calculators | Search HY

Ask the Mental Health Expert Archives 2001-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

American Sign Language

Q. I am looking for therapists in the Orange County, CA area who are fluent in American Sign Language. Can you recommend any resources?

A. I would suggest you try a few resources. First, there is the California Speech-Language-Hearing Association (www.caspeechhearing.org). Stacey Jones (Stacey@csha.org) is the member services coordinator and might be able to help you find appropriately trained therapists. You might also try the John Tracy Clinic in Los Angeles (www.jtc.org) which has special expertise in helping the hearing impaired. Or, try contacting Ms. Barbara Hecht directly at the Tracy Clinic (bhecht@jct.org).

Failing these, I would suggest contacting your local chapters of the American Psychological Association and/or American Psychiatric Association, and ask to speak with the person in charge of referrals. They may have a listing of therapists who are competent in American Sign Language. Good luck with your search!

May 2002

Disclaimer Back to Ask the Expert