| Home | Article Database | Fun Stuff | Resources | Tools & Calculators | Search HY

Ask the Mental Health Expert Archives 2001-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

A Bipolar Serious About School

Q. I am 17 years old and am preparing to go to college to get a degree in Marketing and Business. However, earlier in high school, I wasn't serious about school and I have seriously crippled the chance I could have had for any kind of Academic or Leadership Scholarship.

Since I have taken school seriously, I have moved away from friends that hindered me, as well as my family in Idaho so that I can start on my journey to graduation. Since I have been moved to Utah, I have improved from a 2.1 GPA (a trimester), to a 3.7 (in a semester)! I have been diagnosed as bipolar with hearing and seeing things (I don't think it was a very clear diagnosis) and I heard that I might be able to get money through a charity or grant program to help me pay for college.

I am currently taking medication and seeing a therapist, but I still have my bad days. I was wondering if you have any information on these programs for bipolar people?

A. I am not aware of a specific program that provides educational grants to individuals with bipolar disorder. However, I have heard of similar programs, and would advise you to contact the National Depressive and Manic Depressive Association (NDMDA) at www.ndmda.org or 1-800-826-3632 for more information.

You may also want to try the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI), which provides excellent advocacy services for their members (1-800-950-NAMI). And, of course, when you do go off to college, it would be extremely important for you to continue with your treatment. Good luck!

Other Resources

February 2002

Disclaimer Back to Ask the Expert