| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

November 2003

Q. Just recently I was diagnosed with Cyclotropia. I have not found anyone in my immediate area (Sebastopol, CA) that is able to treat this condition. I was told that there are eye exercises or possibly a surgical intervention that would help. Do you have any suggestions?

A. Cyclotropia is considered a type of strabismus, meaning the eyes are not properly aligned. Cyclotropia specifically refers to one eye aligned inward (toward the nose) or outward (toward the ear) relative to the other. Before any treatment is recommended, it is important to clarify the degree of visual difficulty resulting from the alignment problem, and the underlying cause. This evaluation can be done by an ophthalmologist. There are excellent medical centers near you in northern California at U.C.S.F in San Francisco and at Stanford. Your personal doctor can help arrange such a referral.



Disclaimer Back to Ask the Medical Experts