| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Speech Impediment
October 2001

Q. I am a 30-year-old male and I have a speech problem since childhood. I cannot pronounce the "R". It makes a "V" sound. I want to know whether this problem is dysarthria is it curable at this late age, and does speech therapy help in this case?

A. Dysarthria is a broad term that can include problems involving the muscles and nerves necessary for speech, swallowing, and other vital functions. Your problem seems much more focused, involving a very specific difficulty with production of one sound. You would likely benefit from evaluation by a speech pathologist. Your doctor can help you with such a referral.





Disclaimer Back to Ask the Medical Experts