| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Week of October 8, 2001

    Question:   I am a 51-year-old female. For the past 4 years I have experienced problems with fibroids. I have had 2 PID infections in which I was hospitalized. A week ago I had a severe bleeding episode. I was brought to a hospital while out of town on vacation. My blood loss so great I had to be transfused and my blood count was half of what it should be. My OB/GYN wants to do a complete hysterectomy. Is there any alternative? I have never had an episode like this and was in a high altitude mountain area. I am now very frightened that this could happen again.    Dr. McLaughlin's Answer

    Question:   My boyfriend suffers from irregular heartbeat. He was very active in sports (basketball) during high school until he was diagnosed with this condition. Since that time, he rarely engages in regular physical activities because he is afraid that he may die like the great basketball player, Pistol Pete.    Dr. McLaughlin's Answer

    Question:   My daughter is 28-years-old. After giving birth to a healthy baby girl eight years ago, she developed abnormal hair growth on her face, arms, and back. She also has been severely obese, not normally characteristic for her. After many doctor visits, they have offered her no means of treatment. She was told that she has high levels of testosterone, but that there is no way to adjust it. Can you offer any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?    Dr. McLaughlin's Answer