| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Week of August 7, 2000

    Question:   I suffer with severe pain in my shoulder and neck. My doctor took an MRI/X-ray and found two huge bulging disks and suggested surgery. He said they would remove the bad disks and replace with bone, not mine but from someone else's. I never heard of this. He is also using Titanium to secure these new disks. This sounds different and I never heard of this kind of surgery. Is this a new procedure? What kind of surgery do you call this and should I get a second opinion?    Dr. McLaughlin's Answer

    Question:   Please tell me there are other ways to get pubic lice other than sexual relations. I've been completely faithful to my husband and he doesn't have it, so he didn't give it to me. I am a very clean person and have been extremely freaked out over this. I shaved and the doctor prescribed Lindane lotion. Is this, in your opinion, the right course of action? Is there anything else I can do?    Dr. McLaughlin's Answer

    Question:   Which medical test or screenings do you recommend as part of a thorough history and physical assessment when making or ruling out a psychiatric diagnosis for children and adolescents?    Dr. McLaughlin's Answer

    Question:  I am writing to get a better understanding of my diagnosis of transient neurologic deficit, non-TIA. I was hospitalized after I started to lose my vision in both eyes. Vision returned, and there were no problems with the heart monitor in the hospital or otherwise. They ruled out TIA and I am having a transesophageal next month. I am still taking aspirin per doctor's order. Could this be cardiology related or more related to the brain?    Dr. McLaughlin's Answer

    Question:   What products out there (or ingredients in products) truly fade scars, stretch marks and age spots?    Dr. McLaughlin's Answer