| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Yeast Infection
March 2003

Q. I am an uncircumcised male. I think my foreskin is too tight and long at the tip, which makes it difficult for retracting during erections. For the last seven months I've had recurrent yeast infections. I've tried anti-fungal creams such as canestin and lamisil, along with a strong oral anti-fungal pill which I forget the name of.

I'll be unable to see a dermatologist for another two months. All these drugs I've tried seem to have no effect on my yeast infection. I think part of the reason it doesn't go away is because my foreskin is too tight, and causes inflamation upon retraction. I don't want to be circumcised though. I know I don't have any STD. Could you please help me with what I should do to cure both these problems?

A. Yeast (Candida) is a type of fungus which can cause bothersome but not serious infections in humans. The most common problems would be superficial skin infections, and vaginal infections in women. Yeast are often present in these locations but not causing problems as they are in balance with normal bacteria. When that balance gets altered, the yeast may flourish and cause infection.

An example of this would be taking antibiotics which treats a bacterial infection, but also eliminates many normal bacteria which can lead to a yeast overgrowth. Yeast thrive in warm, moist environments, so areas of the body such as the feet and groin are susceptible. Gentle cleansing, wearing non-restrictive clothing and underwear, and sometimes use of baby powder to aerate and dry the skin can be helpful.



Disclaimer Back to Ask the Medical Experts