| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Excess Skin
January 2004

Q. I have been overweight since I was in the fourth grade. I am now a senior in high school and last year I lost around 60 pounds. I now weigh 156 pounds but I have a substantial amount of loose skin on my mid section. Is there any way to get rid of it, short of surgery?

A. First of all, congratulations for the weight loss. Keep up the diet and exercise habits for continued success. Unfortunately, the excess skin will not likely disappear on its own. The elasticity that allows the skin to expand as we grow or get bigger is not likely to contract after a substantial weight loss. A plastic surgeon is the doctor who can discuss with you the treatment options. It is a general surgery procedure that removes the excess skin and underlying fat tissue, known as abdominoplasty if the abdomen is the area involved.



Disclaimer Back to Ask the Medical Experts