| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Week of September 11, 2000

    Question:   What is the best online source for info on treatment of diabetes? Are there any new treatments or interesting research coming soon?    Dr. Shiller's Answer

    Question:   My step-father is 83-years-old. He has always been a violent person. Now he has been diagnosed with Alzheimers disease. He is in a nursing home but we have been ask to move him because he is hitting staff and patients. Does the fact that he has always been violent have anything to do with his violent behavior now? My Mother believes he does not remember doing anything. What kind of care would be best for him?    Dr. Shiller's Answer

    Question:   I am a 27-year-old male. I have been caught several times masturbating in front of females while severely intoxicated. What kind of treatment should I seek or is treatment necessary? I have not been criminally prosecuted.    Dr. Shiller's Answer

    Question:  I had gastric bypass a year ago and have lost a great deal of weight. I'm still maybe 25 pounds overweight. My doctor said that my period would likely return once my weight got closer to normal, but it hasn't. What tests would you recommend? What could the cause be? Could it be that I will never have a period again and what would that do to my body? Could it be dangerous? I'm only 28!    Dr. Shiller's Answer

    Question:   I am a 35-year-old woman, wife and mother of two children. I weigh 96 pounds. I've lost my sex drive and have lost an average of 1 pound per year since the birth of my first child. I eat normal meals. I have never tried to diet. I have been to my gynecologist, endocrinologist and now he is referring me to an internist. My metabolic workup came back normal. I am desperate to gain weight because I believe that my weight and how I look is affecting my ability to perform sexually. If the internist does not find anything physically wrong with me, where do I go next? Could I have an eating disorder and not know it? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you could recommend any eating disorder clinics in case that might be my next alternative in finding out what is wrong with me, it would be greatly appreciated.    Dr. Shiller's Answer