| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Multiple Palsy
April 2001

Q. A friend of mine told me that her daughter who is in her 20s has multiple palsy. She said that nerves 2 and 7 in her middle brain have been damaged causing vision impairment and facial paralysis. However, I cannot find any information on multiple palsy. Is there another name for it?

A. I have never heard of a disease called "Multiple Palsy". Neither did a Medline search reveal such a disorder. It is possible you may have meant Multiple Sclerosis (MS) or Supranuclear Palsy (SNP). Both disorders involve disease of the central nervous system(CNS), however, where as MS may involve virtually any part of the CNS, SNP has a predilection to affect the midbrain, pons (parts of the brainstem) and the basal ganglia and cerebellum. The chief symptoms of SNP are difficulty in looking downward, and rigidity of the body. facial weakness and imbalance may also occur. Falling down is a frequent result of this syndrome. This uncommon disorder usually begins between ages 45 and 75 years. The cause is unknown and there is currently no good treatment for this debilitating disorder.

However, this information may not apply to the unknown disorder you inquired about. Perhaps it is MS that your friend's daughter has. If it is, write back and I'll be happy to discuss MS in more detail. The second Reference is the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Hope this was a little educational anyways.

Ref: http://www.kumc.edu/parkinson/
Ref: http://www.nmss.org/

Disclaimer Back to Ask the Medical Experts