| Home | Article Database | Resources | Tools & Just for Fun | Search HY |

Ask the Medical Expert Archives 2000-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Gender Choice
April 2001

Q. My husband and I are considering the gender selection. We have 3 girls and I would like a boy for my last child. Could you tell me what is involved? And possibly how it is done.

A. There are several different Gender selection techniques that may help increase the chances of conceiving a male or female baby. The most accurate method would be to separate the males sperm (your husbands) into X (Female) and Y (Male) chromosome containing sperm, often done via flow cytometry. Then the desired type sperm is used to fertilize your egg via artificial insemination of his sperm via a tube put into your vagina through the cervix into the uterus. This is highly specialized and has some ethical issues as well. Also, keep in mind that none of the gender selection techniques are 100% accurate. i.e. you may still end up with another girl! However, if you wish to get more details of this procedure, you would need to see a fertility specialist. Your gynecologist should be able to refer you to one. Also, it is possible you may need to travel quite a distance to see such a specialist.

Good Luck.

Ref: SOURCE: Fertil Steril 1996 Sep;66(3):343-50. CITATION IDS: PMID: 8751727 UI: 96352614

Disclaimer Back to Ask the Medical Experts